Saturday, October 16, 2010

Consolidation


5am on Monday 4th October 2010 I was sitting outside the operating theatre on the start of a journey of consolidation that had started over 5 years earlier
It was Sunday night at 1900 when I had got the call, a dinner of roast lamb roast potatoes veg and all the trimmings was sitting on the table in front of me lovingly prepared by my wife .I had just started one of the roast potatoes that were really nice and crunchy and was looking forward to the meal when the home phone rang I knew when the phone was passed to me that it was Harefieilds.
The same feelings were provoked as had been on previous visits but as we had a visit just a while back we were somewhat more prepared and the time of day was unusual. I started to tweet out to a few people online what was happening and posted an entry to my blog and facebook. Tweeeting as I went we headed off though the quiet evening traffic to Harefields when we got there we ran the gamut of tests required then sat and waiting.
This was to be a beating heart donor and all the earlier stages progressed rapidly and without event.

Was this going to be it?

When they finally said that it was a go I was not as shocked as I thought I would be. Not to minimise the weird feeling of finality after a journey that had gone on for so long. We had a while about half a hour to say our goodbyes and I said a prayer with the family before the porters came to take me to the operating theatre. The family went as far as they could till the got to the entrance to the department then I was on my own.

Then next few hours are a blur but I have been told that I came out of the operation at about 11.30am and woke up on ITU several hours later.

It is now nearly two weeks since that day and I will just say it has been an eventful two weeks with a few ups and downs to say the least but I am here, getting better and stronger as the days go by.

The most profound part was waking up and knowing that someone had given their life organs so that I could live a better life I will do all I can to ensure that those organs last as long as I can and have so much respect for them as a Donor and also my heart and sympathy goes out to their brave relatives who gave consent for the procedure to go ahead.


Thank you, whoever you are, for the Gift of life that you have given me.

4 comments:

  1. My wife had a Heart Transplant at the very Hospital you are in 5 months ago! We had many ups and downs, but along the whole journey tehere have been MANY more ups!
    Stick with the plan, even in the toughest of times and I have no doubt you will form the same opinion in the coming months!
    Thrilled that you have done so well!
    Looking forward to hearing more of your positive recovery!

    Say hello to the nurses from Russ & Dora.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you doing so well.Gives me hope for the future.Like you my thoughts go to the donor's family for selfless gift of life in their own time of grief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you're doing so well, Mark :) RIP to the donor - at least his or her loss has not been in vain. Take care of yourself, and here's to your continued recovery.

    Hugs and very best wishes

    Pan x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind comments
    With grateful thanks Mark

    ReplyDelete

Thank You :-)