Monday, July 11, 2011

Transplant Week Ends - New lives start

Transplant week is over for another year, but that doesn't mean that organ donation stops being needed.
just in case you didn't get to sign up I have included a link here or you can Text SAVE to 84118 

As part of Transplant week Victoria Tremlett who writes the blog "Past the Point of No Return" which you can find on my blog list in the right hand column of this blog prepared a impassioned plea about her time waiting for new lungs
She is still waiting and so are many more people...

I have good news about the end of transplant week while I was tweeting about organ donation last night I recieved a meesage on facebook to say that Kirstie Tancock, who I talked about in my last post, had recieved a call for possible lungs at Harefields Hospital. 

Thoughout the night her family waited for tests to be performed on her blood to check her antibody status, then the agonising wait to see if the lungs were good match and if there forfilled the strict criteria that must be met before they could be transplanted . 
Her husband Stu at 09.10 today wrote; 

 "Well it's been a long night and waiting for the result of each test seems like a nightmare but it has been all worth while when they say it's all going ahead, I know it's such great news to everyone on here and I'm still in shock I would just like to thank the donor and the family for allowing my beautiful wife to have this chance as i'm sure they are going through hell"

At  11.55 today Her sister posted news that her old lungs had been removed

At 14.12 her husband posted that the surgeon had said "it has all gone well" 

At 21.45 Her sister has posted that she is breathing on her own but still sedated 

At 23.08 Kirstie's dad posted this entry on her facebook group  

 Today has been the best day of my life,well thats not quite true getting married was if i didnt say that i would get beat up from the wife. but after hearing kirstie has a 2nd chance of life that means a new pair of lungs how great is that fantasticcccccccccccc. i popped in to see her for a few mins today and had a tear in my eye not of saddness but of joy.

What a great end to transplant week and proof of the good that organ donation can do for a family like kirstie's but let us also remember the donors family that allowed this donation to happen I have such respect for them.

As you may know form a prevoius post about my friend Bree Cordick 
she lost her life because of rare complications after her double lung transplant after having a great new life after transplant and she wrote the blog "The Blog Blog I would strongly advise you to read it. 
I have hosted  "The Blog Blog" on my blog roll for a long while,since before my transplant.She was a great advocate for organ donation and I would like to think that she would want to have Kirstie's blog replace it  and I will maintain a link to it on the links part of my blog to remember my friend:(  

I wish Kirstie all the best and hope she will have a  swift and uneventful recovery and hope that you will follow her progress with interest as she takes the first steps on her 2nd chance @ life

More good news 
 You will also see that another of the blogs I follow is posting good news.
  Jodie  who writes jodiecf.blog.co.uk/
  has had her Lung and Heart transplant on 14th June 2011 and as part of the procedure donated her heart to another recipient and received a new set of Lungs and a new heart.
She had some problems with bleeding and had to undergo more surgery to deal with these problem but has recovered and has just been allowed to return home 27 days after her operation
I would urge you to read her brother 's and father's account of how things happened and if you read back in her blog you will see how hard it has been for her waiting.
I am so glad that she has had her call and can continue to be a mother to her lovely daughter and continue with  her plans to marry John her boyfriend. Hope we will hear more about this soon!!

 I will leave the final words to her brother Kris;

I feel blessed to have witnessed a miracle happen at Papworth. My sister has received the gift of life and in doing so gave the gift of life. Jodie donated her heart during her operation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You :-)